What I did
New York Cares: Retiring a widget
Both quantitative and qualitative research informed the decision to remove a widget from the home page. The decision prevented spending engineering time on a low-value feature, freed up valuable home screen real estate, but provoked a passionate outcry from its few users.
Questions and answers
1. How many users engaged with this widget?
2. Of the remaining 5% who had set goals in the widget, how and why were they using it?
3. The widgets unintended consequences
4. Lightweight UI tweaks post widget
5. A system for communicating research and changes to the website internally and externally.
Volunteer summary in personal profile